Peris : France has issued a maximum level of alert as police hunt a gunman who opened fire at a Christmas market in the eastern city of Strasbourg. Three people were killed and 13 wounded, eight of them seriously.
The gunman, 29, known to authorities as a suspected extremist, escaped after reportedly being injured.
Some 350 officers are involved in the search for the gunman. France’s counter terrorism prosecutor has opened an investigation.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said the country had issued an “urgence attentat” (emergency attack) alert, expanding police powers and creating the highest degree of vigilance.
He added that border controls had been strengthened and security at all Christmas markets would be stepped up.
The mayor of Strasbourg, Roland Ries, has said the Christmas market will be closed on Wednesday and flags lowered to half-mast at the local town hall.